Thursday, January 15, 2009

"Tú escribes mucho mejor que hablas" ("You Write Much Better than You Speak")

A bunch of things here and there, as usual...

1) I have my new roommate now! It's working out really, really well. I went to the hotel to wait with Austin for Mayte to come and get us, and the whole experience was fun and slightly weird (again). It was all the same as what I had already done, except I wasn't doing it. I was the outsider. I looked at Pepe's list and knew things about each of the senoras, about where the kids were going, and, accordingly, what their semester was going to be like. Weird and fun at the same time. It was also fun to actually meet some of the senoras that I had heard so much about but never met previously -- like Amelia's senora, Mercedes. She came and was waiting for her new chica to come down, so I talked to her and told her I had heard a lot about her and we bonded over what a fantastic girl Amelia is. Like I said, fun and weird.

2) Today was the last day of classes before exams. Exam period lasts several weeks. My first exam is on Monday.

3) I don't have to take one of my exams, Antro of America, because I have done all the essays (in class and take home) throughout the semester and gone to every class. This is good news. Fantastic news, in fact, that I am going to pass the class (all I need to do) without needing the exam. Anyway, I went to her office hours after class to ask if I needed to take the exam, and so she was reading over what I had turned in, and at one point she looked up, kind of looked at me for a second, and then said "you write a lot better than you speak, huh?" Yeah. I think she might've meant it as a compliment, but there is no way to not take that as an insult. The phrase of the day, indeed.

4) No, actually, I think I said the phrase of the day earlier in the day. Liliana and I were in our desarrollo local (local development) class and there were more people there than usual. I turned around at one point and I had never seen the kid sitting behind Liliana before. So I turned to Lili and wrote on her paper and said that I'd never seen the kid sitting behind her in my life. It was pretty hilarious, when tied in with the grand theme that Spaniards don't come to class. This kid had been in our class the whole semester and this was the first time he showed and he is probably still going to pass the class. Bueno... maybe you had to be there.

5) I'm going to teach English for mad cash, mad money starting next week. My friend Lauren from last semester taught this guy's kids (4 and 6 years old) and I'm taking over for her in the coming semester. He sounds really nice and hey -- a little more money in the pocket never hurt. Plus little Spanish kids are always, always, always adorable!

6) They post grades publicly here on a wall in each department. I saw some guy named "Alfredo Rodriguez Rodriguez". Not joking. Spaniards always have 2 last names (mom's and dad's) but 2 last names that are the same?! Why would they do that?! They should make up a new one or pick a maiden name or something!! Crazy.

And now, on to shower, watching the office with Austin, and... um... yeah... that thing called "work"?
Buenas noches!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

just caught up on your blog -- thanks for the window into your travels! I think the teacher was giving you a great big compliment on your writing! speaking has so many complexities in dialect, rhythm, nuances of sound -- a few months does not a native make, right? so sounds like your writing is great -- I'm proud of you!

xx,shelley