So, that was my two weeks, in a nutshell. Like I wrote earlier, there is a lot that I could say and didn't and a lot of details and fun moments that are getting lost. I don't know when I would have the time to write all of that, though (and I don't know how many of you would actually want to read it!), so this will have to do.
One thing I will say briefly, though, is that the Spanish absolutely know how to celebrate the holidays. They don't have Santa Claus (who, if you think about it, is kind of absurd -- a fat old guy who wears read and flies around?). Instead, they have the 3 kings who come in early January. The celebrate December 25, but the presents and goodies all arrive later. The 3 kings, representing the 3 kings that came to bestow presents upon baby Jesus, climb up your balcony on the night of the 5th using a ladder (Spaniards are aware of the law of gravity) and leave candy all over the balcony (and in your shoes, which you put out on the balcony), and then leave presents for each person in their spot in the living room. No random trees with lights. No random socks hanging over the fireplace. No random plants hanging from the ceiling so you can get some action. The Spanish way of celebrating things actually makes sense!! So, on the morning of the 6th, everyone wakes up much like on Christmas Day in the US, and goes into the living room to find their place on the couch filled with presents.
I like that way much, much better. There are also parades and festivities in the days leading up to the 5th all over town, where they throw tons of candy and carry big 'mail bins' that will be delivered to the 3 kings so that kids can tell the 3 kings what presents they want.
Ok, so I know I'm not Christian and probably don't really have a right to have a preference... but come on, folks. Spanish tradition obviously trumps the US's bizarre one, hands down.
For me, now, it's back to reality in a big way. Final exams begin next Monday. I have 3 exams to take and about 30 pages to write in Spanish. Gulp. Wish me luck! I'll write more soon, now that I'm getting back in the groove of things.
One thing I will say briefly, though, is that the Spanish absolutely know how to celebrate the holidays. They don't have Santa Claus (who, if you think about it, is kind of absurd -- a fat old guy who wears read and flies around?). Instead, they have the 3 kings who come in early January. The celebrate December 25, but the presents and goodies all arrive later. The 3 kings, representing the 3 kings that came to bestow presents upon baby Jesus, climb up your balcony on the night of the 5th using a ladder (Spaniards are aware of the law of gravity) and leave candy all over the balcony (and in your shoes, which you put out on the balcony), and then leave presents for each person in their spot in the living room. No random trees with lights. No random socks hanging over the fireplace. No random plants hanging from the ceiling so you can get some action. The Spanish way of celebrating things actually makes sense!! So, on the morning of the 6th, everyone wakes up much like on Christmas Day in the US, and goes into the living room to find their place on the couch filled with presents.
I like that way much, much better. There are also parades and festivities in the days leading up to the 5th all over town, where they throw tons of candy and carry big 'mail bins' that will be delivered to the 3 kings so that kids can tell the 3 kings what presents they want.
Ok, so I know I'm not Christian and probably don't really have a right to have a preference... but come on, folks. Spanish tradition obviously trumps the US's bizarre one, hands down.
For me, now, it's back to reality in a big way. Final exams begin next Monday. I have 3 exams to take and about 30 pages to write in Spanish. Gulp. Wish me luck! I'll write more soon, now that I'm getting back in the groove of things.
1 comment:
What great photos.
Post a Comment