Friday, January 9, 2009

Fes and Azrou, Morocco

A disclaimer before I begin: the Medina of Fez is total chaos. As my friend Amelia described it to me before I went, it is an overload on all of the senses. She is completely right. It was hard to take pictures in Fes that really justified it -- it's a total maze with everything happening all at once. So rather than trying to take full pictures of the narrow winding roads, I focused on the stands and the colors instead. Enjoy!

Old buildings in the old Jewish Quarter of Fes.

Small overlook of Fes (the amount of Satellite dishes was incredible).

Food for sale!

Higher panoramic view and overlook of Fes.

The tannery of Fes. People stand knee-deep in the different dyes, dying leather all day. The smell was unbelievable. I can only imagine what it's like in summer...

Products of the tannery! Slippers stacked and stacked and stacked...

More slippers, more styles, more colors, more sizes.

Fes is known for the rug work, apparently... my mom wanted to check it out.

The Medina of Fes is strictly pedestrian (it is impossible that a car could ever manage in there), but donkeys are allowed! They seemed to be used a lot for water deliveries, like this one here.

The weekly market in Azrou.

Left to right: Dad, Mom, Jenny, Omar (driver's son), Abdo (driver), Hanan (driver's wife). Abdo's family came along with us for the day! It was great!

City of Azrou.

Omar, Hanan, and our lunch a'cooking behind them.

Ok, I'm out of time and out of internet. I'll finish up these series tomorrow and get back in the normal blog groove!

No comments: