Tuesday, September 16, 2008

El centro, ilustrado (The Center, Illustrated)

I'm going to put up several blog posts in a short amount of time. Bear with me!

These are just a few pictures of the center. I know I always take pictures of the cool stuff I see, but I don't often inform you all of what my daily life looks like. So here's a try (I still have to take pictures of the apartment and I'm working on it--don't worry; I haven't forgotten).

Liliana in the entrance/foyer area of el centro. You open the door on the right off the stairwell landing (second floor), and this is what you walk into (more or less--the angle is a bit skewed). There are two chairs, a table with information about what's going on locally, and a wall of bulletin boards with more information about classes, bus schedules, train schedules, religious groups, sports activities, etc. Pretty much everything under the sun. Do you see the door behind Liliana? If you follow that, you get to...

The library room! Small, but cozy. Desks for using computer, doing work, etc. Those bookshelves line the walls in here and have all the books students have needed in the past for their courses, so ideally we won't have to do much buying. There are also a few other bookshelves in the main room, but this is most of them.

The main room. This was the absolute busiest it ever gets, because we were in-between classes. I happened to have my camera because we were going for a touristy outing. This is the central room of el centro (ha, ha, ha). If you make a left from the foyer area, this is where it gets you. On the right are more books, then there's a bathroom (exciting, I know). Behind the girl with the blue scarf is the computer room, which is the next picture. Then on the left are two rooms with offices: one for Luisa and one for Eva, the two directors of the program. In the front left is Pepe's desk, who is kind of the receptionist/secretary/lower staff person. He's hilarious.

The computer room. To the left and on the right (the photo doesn't get it) are tables with desktops for anyone to use. The in the back, as you can see, are just empty tables to use the internet. Just past the back table on the right is a nice couch, too, for relaxing. And napping. And reading. And the whatnot.

Like I said before, el centro is right in the middle of the real centro, downtown Sevilla, so the views out the windows are incredible and it's an easy place to get to. I don't think el centro looks terribly impressive from these photos, but there aren't many of us and it does the job really well. I feel comfortable here. It's kind of like the Olin cafe or something like that. You always find people doing something... oh, they also get various newspapers everyday for us to read and stuff like that. It's nice.

No comments: