Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Algo escrito a tontas y a locas (Something Written Haphazardly)

Ok, so the title doesn't translate that well, but we just learned "a tontas y a locas" in grammar class. We've been learning a bunch of idioms, and they're really fun. The hard part is remembering them. Also, often times with idioms if you switch one little thing by accident, it completely changes the meaning and either makes no sense or, worse, makes the phrase sexual or dirty in some way. Yeah, I don't want to make that kind of mistake when talking with a professor or something at the Universidad. That would not be a good way to start.

Speaking of translating things, though, today (grammar class = 5-6pm, after la siesta) we talked about how sometimes it's just impossible to translate things from Spanish to English or English to Spanish and convey the same meanings. Juan, our teacher, gave us some TV/movie examples, and they were just hilarious. For example, take Some Like it Hot, a fantastic classic movie. The Spanish title of that movie translates to "In Skirts and Going Wild." Apparently. Also, there is an equivalent here to "American Idol." It's called "Operacion triunfo," which in English would be "Operation Triumph." Yeah, there are definitely some things lost in translation (hah--wouldn't it be funny if the title of the movie "Lost in Translation" was literally lost in translation?! I know. Funny stuff).

So the weekdays are spent going to class in the morning, having meetings through el centro in the early afternoon, taking a siesta, and then having an hour of class again in the early evening. Everything right now is through el centro and will be for quite some time (classes don't start till late September, at the earliest (it depends on the department)). I have been feeling pretty busy, though, just getting all the odds and ends together that I need to. I think everyone always feels that way at the beginning of a school year, and the fact that I don't know where much is (or often how to say exactly what I need) makes it worse. But I like how el centro has set up the beginning of the year--they gave us a daily schedule to follow to get us into a pattern we feel comfortable in, but they also gave us plenty of time to get things done before real obligations start. Not to say this pro-seminar thing isn't a real obligation--we have homework and have to go to class--it's just pretty minimal compared to what it will be like when we have multiple classes all at once.

My foot has been hurting a lot with all the walking. I'm starting to take the bus to and from the center. I don't like doing it, but my walk is gimpier than it has been since I got my boot taken off, which is no good. I told my senora (o madre espanola), Mayte, about my ankle and now she runs after me every time I leave the apartment to make sure I'm wearing my little ace bandage around my ankle. She's also started calling Katie and I "hijas," which means "daughters." I don't know if that's something she would do with anyone or not, but I like it either way. It's the little things like that each day that happen that make me feel more and more comfortable here. Anyway, I think she likes us, which is obviously good.

Katie and I sometimes successfully steal wireless (wee fee here) from other people in the building in the apartment, but when we do the signal is really weak. So, just so you all know, sometimes I can check my email at home, but normally not. I only get internet at el centro for a bit each day--getting to el centro and from el centro in the morning and then again in the evening takes up a decent bit of time. We're required to be home for meals; it's part of the home stay. Not bad, just time-consuming. I imagine that when things settle down in a few weeks I may get some more time online, so that skype and things like that won't be completely out of the question.

Ah, I love it here. It's just as hot here as it was in China (if not hotter), but it feels pretty nice. There's essentially no humidity and always blue sky. Yeah, the blue sky is worth a lot. I wonder how many Andalusians die of skin cancer.

One last thought: apparently the Mediterranean diet (especially Southern Spain) is the healthiest one in the world. I find that hard to believe as of now, but time shall tell!

1 comment:

pixienchi said...

dude, did you always say "time shall tell" that much last year?
mayte sounds awesome, i love that she calls you two daughters.
whatev, em, you would love to start the conversation with a new professor with an awkward joke with some not-so-subtle sexual innuendo.
dont even try to deny it. :D