This could quite possibly be the shortest entry I've written yet.
Background information: Katie left this morning by plane to go to Barcelona for the weekend.
Yesterday, when Katie and I were eating dinner and watching Pasapalabra, Mayte's favorite game show, Fernando and Mayte started talking quietly in the hall. I didn't really think much of it at the time. Then Mayte came back into the kitchen and was doing some cleaning while watching Pasapalabra with us and Fernando went into the living room to watch the news. A few minutes later, he came in screaming "Mayte, Mayte, venga, mira la tele, hay un choque del avion en el aeropuerto de Sevilla!" (Mayte, Mayte, come here, look at the television, there's a plane crash in the Seville airport!). So Mayte rushed out of the room to go look at the news. Katie and I kind of just looked at each other, wondering if what we'd just heard had been correct, but shrugged it off and went back to our eating and game show watching. Then, a few seconds later, Fernando came power-walking into the kitchen, telling us a similar story to what he told Mayte. He told Katie that there was no way she was going to be able to fly out to Barcelona today, and that the Sevilla airport was shut down, etc, etc. She was incredulous, and I started flipping channels like a mad woman trying to find the news report.
Then, out of nowhere, Fernando began his deep, old man, insanely endearing chuckle. Actually, it was more of a giggle. "Estoy de bromas, es solo un chiste!" (I'm just kidding, it's only a joke!). Katie and I realized he'd gotten us, big time, and we started laughing. Then Mayte came in laughing, saying that she had to leave the room because otherwise her smile would have given it away (hence Fernando calling her out of the room to see the television first). Katie told Fernando that she's never going to believe anything he says. Mayte thought that was wise.
So now we know why they were out in the hallway, talking quietly...
Ah, I love my family.
Au Revoir to Manglish
14 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment