So... my family spent 8 hours or something crazy in the Detroit airport yesterday. They were trying to fly Detroit -- Chicago -- Madrid -- Sevilla, which is about the nicest connection you can get out of Detroit, but Chicago's weather was not cooperating. The transatlantic flights were apparently the only flights leaving on time, which meant that their flight to Madrid left before their plane had even arrived in Detroit (their plane was coming out of Chicago and then going back into Chicago). Last night before I went to bed, the latest update was they had been sitting in the plane to get to Chicago for over an hour waiting to be de-iced. My mom had talked to the airlines and had rescheduled an itinerary from Chicago -- London -- Madrid -- Sevilla that left later yesterday night. If they made that, then they should be landing in London in about 40 min and will be in Sevilla way late tonight. I hope so!
In the mean time, I have updates. How shocking.
1) The whole separation of Church and State thing doesn't really exist here. There is a nativity scene IN the city hall. No joke. There are nativity scenes everywhere, though, really... in schools, too, although that makes more sense because most schools are Catholic.
2) Going from nativity scene to nativity scene is kind of like a sport. Katie and I went out shopping and walking on Saturday night and the downtown area was full of people. It was in the 50s, a beautiful night, palm trees and orange trees as usual, Christmas lights decorating the streets, trees, and buildings, and tons of children wearing cute little matching outfits. I think there were so many kids because their parents were taking them from nativity scene to nativity scene. There were long lines to see the various nativity scenes that were set up all over the city. We didn't quite understand that, but it was still interesting. Katie and I got a gelato on the way home... gelato? During holiday shopping? Yes indeed! And the thing is, even with the total change in scenery, it felt very holiday-esque (ok, Christmas-esque, let's face it, this is Spain). It was a really pleasant atmosphere.
3) I went out to a tapas bar to get drinks with a bunch of people on Friday night to say goodbye. It was really hard to think that we'll never all be here, together, in Sevilla, frolicking again... but such is life. It's also hard for me because I can only imagine my life here with them. I have grown close with some of them and have gotten used to seeing them. It was sad to see everyone go. It's hard to imagine them all back in the US, and me still here for 6+ months. I want to stay, but it was still weird. I will probably see them in about a year or so, but you never know... saying bye to Katie was especially hard. We had almost a family dynamic within our homestay (almost) and it will feel weird to be there without her. I don't like being in my room now because her side is totally empty. Just like my heart (joking. sort of).
Here are some of the photos I took on the last days with people here:
Out on the town the last night with people. Marcus, me, and Matt on one of the main streets in the downtown area.I'm really happy with how those pictures turned out.
4) I was going through my stuff yesterday, cleaning, and US money looks and feels really weird now. The shape, the style, everything. It felt foreign. Oohh... analyze that. I feel distanced from a daily aspect of my American identity... cool. There's a better way to say that, I think, but it's not coming. My ability to speak English is decreasing rapidly.
5) I said the prayers for Hannukah alone last night. I really hope my family gets here today, for various reasons... I'm getting sad being here all alone. And I want to see them!!
6) Oh, I put this video on facebook -- watch it; it's hilarious. Katie and Armena decided they wanted to try a Sevilla orange before leaving... they smell good, so they should taste good... right?
Ok, ok, now I really think I'm done updating before the 7th... unless, of course, my parents didn't make the flight to London and won't be here for several more days. That would be very, very unfortunate.
Happy holidays to all!
4) I was going through my stuff yesterday, cleaning, and US money looks and feels really weird now. The shape, the style, everything. It felt foreign. Oohh... analyze that. I feel distanced from a daily aspect of my American identity... cool. There's a better way to say that, I think, but it's not coming. My ability to speak English is decreasing rapidly.
5) I said the prayers for Hannukah alone last night. I really hope my family gets here today, for various reasons... I'm getting sad being here all alone. And I want to see them!!
6) Oh, I put this video on facebook -- watch it; it's hilarious. Katie and Armena decided they wanted to try a Sevilla orange before leaving... they smell good, so they should taste good... right?
Ok, ok, now I really think I'm done updating before the 7th... unless, of course, my parents didn't make the flight to London and won't be here for several more days. That would be very, very unfortunate.
Happy holidays to all!
No comments:
Post a Comment