Ok, technically, end of the semester, no. That´s in February. But the kids who are on the program for just the semester are going back to the states today, tomorrow, and Sunday. So it is the first end. Round one of people, leaving. Hugs in the center. Sometimes tears, normally not. It feels weird to be staying. And, for the record, I am the only one staying here for break. Out of everyone--year kids and not--I am the only one not going home. It feels weird. Everyone else is going through transitions, traveling, and I´m not. I´m watching the semester kids go through major change, again, and I´m not dealing with any of it. Even the year kids who are going home are dealing with some kind of change. But not me. I just wait anxiously for my parents to arrive on Monday!
Katie goes home on Sunday. I´m sad about that. As of now, my roommate for next semester is a big unknown... and I lucked out with Katie.
Speaking of Katie, she and Fernando have a competition going on right now. It´s hilarious. So, he´s always trying to scare us by suddenly jumping into a room and screaming or by jumping out at us, etc (you know, that type of thing). The last time he tried that, all Katie would say to him was ´no me toques!´ (don´t touch me!) and he thought it was hilarious. So a few days ago, I was in the living room with Mayte and Fernando and Katie came in the front door. Fernando didn´t hear her, so she crept up behind his chair and suddenly screamed really loudly in his ear. He jumped about a foot out of his chair and Katie was SO pleased with herself. Fernando was giggling and all he would say to Katie was ´no me toques! no me toques!´It was completely fantastic. Mayte and I were laughing hysterically. But the story doesn´t end there! Katie came and sat down with us and we were talking. A few minutes into the conversation, Fernando got up and left the room. We didn´t really think anything of it. So we chat, etc, and then Katie gets up to go to our room. She walks into the hallway and all Mayte and I hear is an enormous scream. Fernando had been LYING ON THE FLOOR, IN THE DARK, waiting for Katie to come!! He had screamed at her and grabbed her feet. It was HILARIOUS. I was crying and Mayte was howling, too. The man is 75! I don´t typically think of 75-year-olds pouncing on people like that! Anyway, he got Katie, and got her good. So now Katie and I are planning the ultimate revenge before she leaves... we´ve gotten Mayte to agree to help us out, which is good. I´ll let you know how it goes!
Mayte bought Katie and I special Mantecado that´s made with just olive oil, no lard. It was really, really sweet of her to go out of her way like that so we could still enjoy the Christmas sweets. Those things vegetarian style are hard to find, but she was determined!
Last night, I went with Liliana and Kristin to a free Christmas music concert in one of the patios in the University. It was all older people (60+) but really cute and fun. And free. Did I mention free?
And, last but not least, this morning I had a really good intercambio with a physics post-grad from Colombia. He was really, really nice and we had great conversation. The intercambio lasted for 2.5 hours (we got breakfast) and I will definitely call him in January. It was so nice to finally have an intercambio that was minimally awkward filled with worthwhile conversation (you know me and bubbly conversation... I can only do it for so long). So yeah. That was really nice. I was pleasantly surprised.
I´m not going to update again until after my parents leave, most probably, which would be January 7. Happy break to all!
Au Revoir to Manglish
14 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment