But that's the first disclaimer I wanted to put out there: in Ireland, for the first time in my life, I gave up taking pictures. It was too beautiful; I couldn't capture it. I have pictures, but none of them do justice what I saw. Often times the most beautiful things I saw were on bus rides or tours or in the rain, so it was even more difficult to take good pictures. Ireland was absolutely breath-taking. In the end, it's just rolling green hills and fields, stone hand-made walls, cute little houses, and animals (lots of animals), but somehow the sum of that equals more than the parts. I can't describe it fully. I can just say that Ireland was easily one of my favorite places I've ever been and I absolutely plan to go back.
When I do go back, I will rent a car and drive around. Ireland is smaller than the state of West Virginia, so it's plausible, and the majority of beautiful things to see happens just driving through the countryside. We experienced a bit of that with day tours (they worked really well), but it still can't compare to having a car and doing everything at your own pace.
Here's the rough schedule of what we did, so you can have a basic outline of the trip:
Saturday: got to Dublin, met up with Rory, a good friend of mine from way back in the day, did some walking around, went to hear some live music in a pub, and then crashed at her place. She is studying at Trinity University for the semester.
Sunday: walked around Dublin some more, saw Trinity, went to lunch with Rory, trained over to Galway. Explored Galway, a cute, picturesque town on the western side of the country.
Monday: Day tour of the Cliffs of Moher, which involved a long guided tour down the coast with plenty of stops at other little attractions, going down to Doolin and ending at the Cliffs. Fantastic. Met up with Caitlin, another old friend, and her mom for dinner. It was great to see them.
Tuesday: Took a boat out to the Aran Islands. Spent the day biking around the Island. Absolutely incredible--the views were unreal--but the weather got very, very bad. Biking in hail/snow is really not fun. Kind of a bummer that we didn't have better weather and couldn't fully explore the island, but that's how it goes. We had a nice cozy evening in as the wind whistled outside. It felt like camp.
Wednesday: Left the island in the early morning (the weather was beautiful. figures) and spent the day in Galway. We explored by ourselves, then met up with Caitlin for the rest of the day. Very enjoyable.
Thursday: trained back to Dublin. Rory was gone, but we did a bus tour and continued our explorations.
Friday: Dublin exploration...
Saturday: left Dublin at 4:30am to catch our flight back to Sevilla.
So that is the general outline.
In other, random detail, I'm going to try a new, more efficient way of organizing this entry because I have too many little, random things to say.
potatoes. I think it's stupid to spend too much time on this, but I will just say that all stereotypes on this matter were firmly upheld. I think the finest example is the sweet potato pizza that Austin and I shared in Galway. (It was delicious.)
the train. I love trains. Love, love, love. Beautiful countryside, good companionship, DIGESTIVES (not saying more; I could write an entire entry on the wonder that are Digestive cookies). What more could a person ask for?
redheads. Ireland is full of Ron Weasleys. Quite endearing.
Spanish, generally. I spoke in Spanish to several people by accident in the first few days of being there. Switching gears in my head was really difficult. There were also Spaniards all over the place. It makes sense, because it was a vacation week, but still. They are *so* loud and obnoxious, especially out of context. Almost as bad as Americans! Plus we just wanted to get away... We were actually mistaken for Spaniards several times, and even pretended to be Spanish in a bar we went to in Galway. It worked! (The guy said "I knew ye were Spanish right away; I saw it in yer complexion; I can just tell wit tese sorts of tings.")
food in Dublin. We went ethnic. It was SPECTACULAR. Japanese, Mexican (Spain has awful Mexican food, ironically enough), and Indian. It was a beautiful thing.
Dublin on Good Friday. This was funny. We happened to be in Dublin on one of two days all year where all 963 pubs are closed (the other day is Easter). We did the guided bus tour, and all the tour guides were complaining about it and about how awful it is to not be able to stop into a pub for a pint. The Guinness factory was closed, too, but we still saw it from the outside and it was ENORMOUS. It takes up a huge chunk of the city--it is the largest brewery in Europe--and produces over 3 million pints a day. Over 3.5 billion pints of Guinness are consumed in a year. It was interesting. I actually didn't like the beer much at all, but I am a big Bulmers fan. This trip confirmed that.
Phoenix Park. We hopped off our tour bus at Phoenix Park, the largest urban park in Europe. It was beautiful -- huge open fields, deer, monuments. Also the zoo, where we passed several hours quite happily.
divorce. Sounds like a strange thing to put, but it's worth mentioning: divorce was not legalized in Ireland until 1997. Yep, I know.
Now on to pictures, and I'll continue a bit of the story telling that way. And like I said, I feel like my pictures are really inadequate for representing what I saw and how I felt.
I think that's more or less it. I'm sure there were more little, funny things I wanted to add, but this brief overview covers my week away, in a nutshell. Hope it was enjoyable to read and not painfully long! (Ha, plus, another entry coming soon -- we've got back to back ones! Oh joy!)
2 comments:
i think you may have to tell your less informed public that bulmers is not beer... :)
your trip sounded amazing... i think i may have to figure out a quick way over that way. it is too funny that you have been to ireland when i am only like a 45 minute plane ride away.
plus, i think your galloway photo of you is beautifuL!
i love how that guy just knew that you were spanish! ha ha. but, you are very tan, and with your dark hair and soulful eyes and flamenco dancing skillz--no wonder! ;)
YAY.
I think you did a very nice job, young lady. I'm glad you had a nice rest-of-the-week.
Post a Comment