Thursday, April 23, 2009

Confuso, profuso, difuso (Bullshitting)

Or at least I think that's how it translates. I was trying to explain to Pepe how I had a bad topic for a paper that I need to write and I just need to say the same thing over and over in different ways. I called it "shit" in Spanish, which is "mierda," but then he told me that here they say "confuso, profuso, difuso." The translating stuff is always a fun time because Pepe doesn't speak English and I'm not fluent in Spanish, but that's pretty much the gist I got.

So yes. I have to write one of my papers in the confuso, profuso, difuso style. It's unfortunate, but it's the nature of class (anthro of communication) and it's what inevitably ends up happening when I don't have the command of vocabulary and verbs to make strong, precise claims. Sigh.

The best way to communicate my schedule to you this past week is to give a recap of my last 24 hours:
14:30h yesterday: Bibloteca General (see later) to write a paper due today.
16-17h: class
17:15-18:15h: nanny the little boys in English (it was oh such fun, they tried to pull off my pants, and Nacho kept saying "son pantalones GIGANTISIMOS" ("those are GIANT pants"). Ok, so lesson learned. From now on, I only wear jeans. Never Spanish sweatpants.
19h: home, continue working on essay.
20:30h: dinner, showering.
21:30h: essay.
0:30h: bed (incredibly early, but wait for it.)
6:18h: get up, get ready, accompany a friend to the airport (it's a long story, she used my credit card to pay because hers wasn't working, so i had to go because sometimes with foreigners they fuss about seeing the credit card).
9:15h: return to house.
10-11:30h: Sevillanas class (dancing)
11:30-13h: finish essay/turn in essay/print out everything I need for this break (center is closing). Generally organize my life.
And now I am writing to you. Ah, yes, yes indeed.
Ok, now that I've written it out, it doesn't seem like as much as it feels like. And this wouldn't be bad for Cornell--more normal--but here it's throwing me for a loop.
Well, now you know why I haven't been updating as much.
But, that said, I have updates.

Yesterday, to work on my essay, I decided to go to a library that I had never been to before. It was incredible. I went in el rectorado, the tobacco factory building where I always have class, but I cut right in the first patio, rather than walking through the second and into the far door. I went up three flights of stairs and found myself in a totally different world. Jack and the Beanstalk, if you will, without the whole beanstalk and monster business. Oh, and I'm not a Jack. But anyway... there was a new building built on top of the old fabrica that is not visible from walking through the building. The library was INCREDIBLE, new, beautiful, quiet, and just... nice. The librarians were NICE. They SMILED at me!!! The tables were BIG!!! It felt kind of like how I remember one of the libraries at UMich feeling... anyway, it was such a pleasant surprise. Go up three flights of random stairs, and there it is, something big, enormous, and fantastic that I didn't know about before.
See? April 23, I'm leaving in 2 months, and I still haven't discovered everything that I should have. So that felt good, yesterday. I felt like I accomplished something new recently. Plus, it's just a fantastic place to study (and it's open on Saturdays!!!!).
There was also an old woman at a table over from me, who was reading and smiling and taking notes like it was the best thing that had ever happened to her. And that made me realize... being in school is awesome. Intellectual stimulation. Learning is fun. It really is. I forget that too easily.
As I studied, the sounds on the street of the manifestacion against Bolonia wafted through the open windows...
Ah, to be a student in Sevilla on an 86-degree, blue-skied, sunny day. In a newly discovered library, listening to people fight for their educational rights. It was pretty spectacular.

Tomorrow morning (my flight LEAVES at 6:30am), off to Palma de Mallorca for a weekend with CAROLINE!! Back Sunday night.
...And so the Feria begins!

No comments: