Monday, November 24, 2008

Una excursión y más (An Excursion and More)

On Thursday night, Katie and I cooked dinner for Mayte and Fernando. It was a big hit and a lot of fun. We went to the grocery store together after class, bought some ingredients (as it turns out, we bought way, way, way too much), and closed off the kitchen for about an hour while we cooked. It was fun. We made homemade macaroni and cheese and stir fried some veggies. It wasn't the most exciting meal on earth, but Mayte wanted us to make something that's common in America that she didn't know, so we thought mac and cheese with veggies was a good idea. They went really well together, too. We all sat down and ate and had good conversation. It was really nice. Some extended family was in town this weekend, too, and Mayte served up our food to them (like I said, we made a ton). I think this week Katie and I might bake some cookies.

On Friday I had a field trip with my local development class. Liliana and I took bets on how few people would show up (I guessed 17, she guessed 11), but we were pleasantly surprised to find that the entire private tour bus was filled -- there must've been 40ish people there from our class. The field trip was all day. We went to Estepa and Osuna, two cities in Sevilla province. In Estepa, we toured some factories and had several presentations. We went to the local development office in Estepa and had a presentation from them, too. If you've ever had the Spanish Christmas sweet called "Mantecado," chances are it was made in Estepa. Estepa is also well-known for it's Olive Oil company called "Oleoestepa," supposedly some of the best Olive Oil you can buy from Andaluc
ía. After Estepa, we went to the little town of Osuna, where we did a little walking tour and learned about how the local economy is based around the University and the Hospital. It was a really pleasant day. The teacher had planned everything well and it was interesting to see these two places in Sevilla Province that I wouldn't have gone to otherwise.

Outside of La Estepeña, the sweets factory we went into in Estepa. Christmas gift and palm trees. They look oh so grand together.

View down from the top of the hill in Estepa. First come the houses, then come the factories, then come the olive trees.

View from the climb up the hill in Estepa (it's the view of the other side, basically).

This weekend was quiet because I have a decent bit of work to do. I wrote a 5-page paper and have about 20 more pages for other classes to go. I also have some presentations to prepare, which is the most intimidating, but also exciting. Anyway, this weekend was mainly spent working (which was hard, considering the absolutely beautiful weather outside that I hate wasting), but I did discover the Meijer/Target/Wegman's/Walmart equivalent, just a 15 min walk from my apartment building. It's called Alcampo and it is wonderful. It is absolutely enormous and the prices are SO good. I was very pleased with myself for finding it and also felt stupid that I had been paying so much more. After I got back, though, Mayte wasn't too happy because apparently it's in a bad neighborhood and she didn't think I should've walked there myself (oh well, now I know for next time). Alcampo is farther out from the center of the city, which is why I'd never seen it before. I always walk in the opposite direction. But now I have found the grand haven of Cheap Things and my life has been changed for the better.

Like I said earlier, family was visiting Mayte and Fernando this weekend. Their granddaughter, Candela, from Granada (4 years old, I think) was visiting. On Sunday I was in my room doing homework, and I heard Candela start giggling. Then I heard Fernando start giggling. Then Candela started giggling even harder. Then Fernando's giggle got stronger, too. Then I was laughing because I was listening to them giggle together (Fernando really does have one hell of a giggle). It was really cute to listen to.

One last random thing: Almodovar is my new favorite Spanish director. Watch movies by him. They're fantastic. I especially liked Hable con ella (Talk To Her).

Hasta pronto!

1 comment:

pixienchi said...

i want to be fernando's friend so bad....