Wednesday, November 12, 2008

El martes, 11/11 (Tuesday, 11/11)

Three things happened yesterday that I want to share.

1) Mayte told me that she got her granddaughter Candela, who lives in Granada, a doll. Her granddaughter is 4 years old. The doll is black. Her granddaughter, with no prompting whatsoever, named the doll Obama. "Candela Obama," to be exact. Mayte asked her how she knew about Obama, and she said he's always on the TV. So yes, 4-year-olds in Southern Spain are naming their dolls after the American superhero.

2) Yesterday I ate dinner really late -- way later than normal. I was flipping through channels because what I normally watch wasn't on, and I came across "anatomia de grey." Grey's Anatomy dubbed in Spanish. It was a good time. It also made me realize just how ridiculous the drama is. Sometimes seeing something in another language will do that.

3) I had an intercambio with Natalia, a girl who Luisa knows, last night. It went really well. She's a fashion student (Beth, if you're reading this, holler back, we talked about fashion and shows for awhile) and very, very nice. I'm not sure how much I would like her if we were in the US, but we got along well enough and I'm glad that we'll be spending more time together (once a week on Mondays, if not more). She's 25 and has graduated, so she has a lot more time than me and was very excited to hang out. Her English is good and it was fun speaking in Spanglish for the hour or so. She also has a car, which is a very nice bonus.

That's all for now. Updates after this weekend -- night out on Thursday with Caroline and friends, and this weekend I'm headed to Toledo with Caroline before she flies back to Scotland from Madrid!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see that you watched Grey's Anatomy in Spanish. Lately I've been watching Friends in Italian. Their voices are different and it is generally very amusing.