1) The center offers free tutorías for any class that you may be having trouble with. A tutoría is basically like a study session, led by either a doctorate student at the university or by one of the Professors that taught our pro-cultural seminar through the center at the beginning of the year. I just requested a tutoría for my Anthro of America class and, since I'm the only person in the program taking that class, I know for a fact that it will be just me and the leader-person. Bring it on! I requested the tutoría not because I feel behind or anything like that--I understand the concepts completely that are discussed in class. It's more just that she drops names left and right and refers to the concepts/theories of that person offhandedly during class and it's really hard for me to follow. She talks quickly but I don't tend to have a problem understanding her except when, funnily enough, she refers to an Anthropologist with an English last name. The pronunciation is so different here; the names are impossible to decode. I'm sure some of the time I know who she's talking about and I've probably read a bit by him/her, too... but I just can't understand their name with the Spanish accent! So I think a tutoría will be good to help me organize all of those names and theories and everything. And hey, why not? It doesn't cost extra and I have the time! It's more speaking in Spanish, too!
2) I miss intellectual stimulation. Yes, my classes are in Spanish, and yes, that can be challenging, but the expectations here are so different (aka very low). Each of my classes rarely has homework, but the syllabi do have lists and lists of recommended books to read. I went to the university library to try to stimulate myself intellectually on my own, but the library didn't have any of the books on the recommended lists! I was really bummed. I know I didn't come here to have a relocated Cornell experience or anything, but it's hard to figure out how to learn the same incredible volume of information here that's constantly stuffed in my ears at Cornell. (That said, this morning I went and got a library card for the public library which looks very promising and I can't wait to go back.) I'm just not used to working this hard to be able to read interesting books that pertain to my classes and what I like.
3) Their library is the size of Lib Cafe (ok, and maybe the front area of Olin, too). That might give you a little perspective.
4) I can't believe I'm writing an entry complaining that I don't have enough work to do. Do I miss being stressed? To be honest, yeah, a little. But on the other hand, it is fantastic to have a break from the Cornell stress and be able to relax, be on my own, and think.
5) I like thinking.
Au Revoir to Manglish
14 years ago
1 comment:
Oh no! Nerd alert!
You are the prisoner of genetics.
Post a Comment